Re: [leafnode-list] Multiple NNTPHOST sources

on 7/31/02 5:00 AM, Mike Graham at mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> That sucks.  Well in that case you will have to call fetchnews with a
>> different configuration file upon dial-up.  Again, you can have
>> little scripts run at dial-up and and "dial-down" time.
>
> You're not kidding.  What I've done, actually, is just put both
> servers in the one file.  It tries to connect to both, but only
> connects to whatever one I'm dialed into.  At least I don't have to
> juggle configs.  So I dial into UUNet, run 'fetch', go grab a drink,
> get back, hang up UUNet, dial sprint, run 'fetch' and that gets
> whatever UUNet may have missed, and leaves me set up to do my e-mail,
> and I can do all of the uploading to Sprint with no trouble, so I don't
> have to dial into UUNet again until the next time I'm downloading.  So
> it's still a great improvement over slrnpull, where I had UUNet for
> news and Sprint just for e-mail, so I couldn't access e-mail while
> doing my news, and you wouldn't believe how annoying that can be at
> times.  Anyway, progress is progress!  Thanks.

If you running the 2.0beta series, you can now specify which server you want
to connect to on the fetchnews command line.  If you like, you can set up a
couple of bash scripts to connect to each server, and just run those
scripts.

Just an idea.  But, if everything is working okay for you, no reason to
change.

Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman (jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)