[leafnode-list] Why was support for 8 bit characters in headers dropped?

<x-flowed>
One morning last week, after upgrading (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade)
my leafnode to 1.9.24, was a bit baffled to find that my followup to a
no.it.tjenester.news.diverse thread with "Subject: Re: Mail etter
postinger på no.test" was rejected by my newly refreshed leafnode with
a "441 format error" message claiming illegal use of 8-bit characters
in the header.

I am aware that the formal standardization of 8 bit and wider characters
in usenet messages has been slow-moving to put it mildly. However, in
the meantime the regional hierarchies whose languages require 8 bit
or wider characters have adopted agreed-upon practices. I've been using
leafnode here since version 0.7 or thereabouts, and it has always
handled the conventions of various regional hierarchies without any
sort trouble.
Until 1.9.24, that is. I'm hoping leafnode doesn't stay broken.
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/
http://www.datadok.no/