Re: [leafnode-list] Why was support for 8 bit characters in headers

<x-flowed>
Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Actually, there has been doubt that there was maybe a possibility that
leafnode before version 1.9.24 might _not_ cope with 8bit in headers.
I really don't see why. I haven't studied the source for quite some
time, though.
This and the rule "be conservative in what you send" led to the decision
of not allowing 8bit in headers at this time.
In the no.* hierarchy at least, 8-bit is accepted as normal.

We are aware of the discussion of moving over to UTF-8 in headers
> without any encoding at all.

That discussion is a 'relatively recent' development, with any
generally accepted spec or implementation prett far off, AFAIK
Until then, please stick with current rules of proper header encoding.
In case Mozilla is your news agent, it is aware of header encoding (I
just tried it with your stated subject ;) but I could not tell you the
necessary config setting to enforce this, as I don't use Mozilla
regularly.  Please consult Mozilla (or whatever news reader you use)
documentation for this, and think of the then-even-bigger audience
worldwide that would be able to decode and read your headers properly
> ;-)

Breaking existing systems in order to make the world behave. I see.
I'll see what I can find out from the gnus docs, but I'm convinced
this will not contribute to leafnode's popularity.
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/
http://www.datadok.no/