Re: [leafnode-list] chgrp problems under Red Hat 7.2

Kenneth Porter <shiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> If I just run fetchnews as root, I get this:
>> cannot ensure gid 13: Operation not permitted
>
> Found it. It's a bug in the spec file.
>
> I just removed the setuid bits in the spec file, on the assumption that
> they'd be run as root from root's crontab. Perhaps a better approach is
> to check in initvars() (miscutil.c) first to see if the setgid and
> setuid calls are needed. This could be done in uid_ensure and
> gid_ensure, since those functions are just making sure that the ID's are
> set correctly. They should read the current value and do nothing if the
> values are in the desired state.

*shrug* any process should be able to setgid() to its current effective
group id and to setuid() to its current effective user id, unless
something (kernel) is hosed. Please show strace log EXCERPTS if possible
(try strace -o filename to write them to a file).