Re: [leafnode-list] rnews -- usage?

Tim Koenig <tk2652@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm currently trying to install leafnode-2.0-snapshot-20020715a.tar.bz2
> on an uucp-only system.

Sorry, you're the early adoptor that is going to be bitten by the
incomplete support, yet your insights are valuable.

UUCP-only boxes have not yet seen much testing, mostly because some
mechanism to "post" (via uux into a remote rnews) news upstream other
than NNTP is lacking.

> After some minor tweaking (rnews wouldn't decompress gzip'ed batches,
> support for bzip2[1]) the batches are accepted and the actual files are
> written to ${spool}/message.id/... (store_stream returns 0).

Can you share your tweaks? Feel free to send them to my mail address
privately.

> However, the 'real' directories for the different groups aren't being
> created.

Euhm. Anything in the logs? Trouble should be logged.

> Because this is supposed to be a uucp-only system, I don't have an
> up-to-date "groupinfo" -- should I use an "active" or "newsgroups"
> file, and convert it into "groupinfo"-format?

Yes.

> Do I need to put anything in ${spool}/interesting.groups? What other
> steps are necessary for uucp to work?

No, interesting.groups is maintained by leafnode as newsreaders are
connected. You'd also need a means to get articles from "out.going"
batched and sent to the remote rnews with uux, such software does not
yet ship with leafnode.

As it stands now, UUCP can be used as additional feed, but it's still
necessary to have an NNTP upstream for the groupinfo and to post
articles. Sorry, we're not yet there.