Re: [leafnode-list] SUPPORT DISCONTINUED (details inside)

Jeff Grossman schrieb am Montag, den 26. August 2002:

> I run my own mail server for my personal mail.  And, yes, I do use the
> DUL list to block out mail.  Why do you need to run your own SMTP server
> via a dial up connection?

Because I do not pay per uptime (DSL here), so I can afford it, and I
want to know what happens to my mail. If I lay off mail delivery to
another party, it means I have to trust them that they do the right
thing, but I cannot control it...

> You should be using your providers SMTP
> server.

..therefore, I should rather NOT use my ISP's SMTP client. I cannot
look into its queues, I cannot look into its logs, I cannot configure
its retry schedules and I'm not even sure that it implements 8BITMIME
properly or retries properly to backup MXs.

The moment my ISP lets me look at the logs and the mailq that pertain(s)
to my mail, I will reconsider my position.

> I know of a few ISP's that now require you to use theirs, i.e.
> Earthlink.

Yes, that's what the MAPS company wants them to do. It's still wrong.
The ISP would better let their dialup open and include contract
penalties, like USD 1,000 per piece of spam sent from dialup.