Re: [leafnode-list] SUPPORT DISCONTINUED (details inside)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:52:47AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Jeff Grossman schrieb am Montag, den 26. August 2002:

> > I know of a few ISP's that now require you to use theirs, i.e.
> > Earthlink.

> Yes, that's what the MAPS company wants them to do. It's still wrong.
> The ISP would better let their dialup open and include contract
> penalties, like USD 1,000 per piece of spam sent from dialup.

That'd probably be OK with MAPS (indeed, I'm sure there was some
discussion of doing things like that in the web pages last time I
checked).  The point with the DUL isn't that sending mail from dialups
is inherantly evil it's that ISPs are in general not willing to take
effective measures to control spam eminating from their dialup pools.
The idea is that if you're coming up against a brick wall trying to
address complaints with spam from an IP range then you may want to stop
accepting mail from that IP range.