Re: [leafnode-list] [Leafnode-announce] Leafnode 1.9.25.rel

"William Hooper" <whooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Just a thought, maybe it is time to change the leafnode.spec file so that an
> RPM can be build from the bzip2 file instead of the needing the gzip.

Yup, indeed.

> Not sure about compatibility with older versions, but Redhat's RPM 4
> on support it.

There are two things that are always biting me with RPM, and these are:

1. I don't understand all the macro magic that RPM plays (e. g. when
   does it automatically gzip man pages) -- and I don't find decent
   information. It's at best outdated, with some random RPM macro
   collection thrown at me... (SuSE Linux 7.3 is my current development
   platform that runs RPM.)

2. One ALWAYS ends up downloading the wrong tarball for .spec: getting
   the tar.bz2, you figure the .spec file mentions .tar.gz, and vice
   versa. Probably some obscure Murphy's law reference buried in here.

   I'd wished that one could tell RPM to try .bz2 if the .gz is not
   there at least in rpm -tX mode.