Re: [leafnode-list] could not hand over lockfile to child

Jan Knutar <jknutar@xxxxxx> writes:

> On Friday 30 August 2002 21:07, you wrote:
> Just upgraded from leadonde 1.9.14, which worked perfectly :-)

Now that's an important point (no, 1.9.14 did not work perfectly).

> newsq shows one article which remains unposted after running
> fetchnews, and the following message at the end of the syslog
> (/var/log/news on my system)

If only you'd quoted (pasted) the newsq output here rather than
describing it... Please do.

> Aug 30 21:20:21 polaris fetchnews[23236]: could not hand over lockfile to child: No such file or directory, waiting until child is done.
> Aug 30 21:20:21 polaris fetchnews[23237]: Process forked.
>
> I ran fetchnews with -lP option to reduce the amount of messages in the log.
> As you can see, I have permission to post. I have about half a dozen servers
> in my config, including the all popular cis.dfn.de. fetchnews does not post to
> any server.

What does "newsq" print exactly?
Did you inject a new post since the upgrade or was it already there
before the upgrade?
What does "ls -l /var/spool/news/out.going/" print?

If you get "INCOMPLETE", please review the 1.9.25.rel "NEWS" file for
INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES sections (all of them!)

> Whether it is just a syslog timing detail, I am a bit curious about the new
> process being forked after the error message about child.

Please run strace -o dump -f fetchnews and paste some lines before the
"could not hand over lockfile" syslog message.

> In any case, I wonder what prevents fetchnews from posting, whether the
> lockfile message is related, and if anyone has tips on how to possibly
> make fetchnews post articles again..

The lockfile message is unrelated, the posting issue is a different one.