Re: [leafnode-list] [Leafnode-announce] Leafnode 1.9.25.rel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Andree" <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: [leafnode-list] [Leafnode-announce] Leafnode 1.9.25.rel

> "William Hooper" <whooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Just a thought, maybe it is time to change the leafnode.spec file so
that an
> > RPM can be build from the bzip2 file instead of the needing the gzip.
>
> Yup, indeed.
>
> > Not sure about compatibility with older versions, but Redhat's RPM 4
> > on support it.
>
> There are two things that are always biting me with RPM, and these are:
>
> 1. I don't understand all the macro magic that RPM plays (e. g. when
>    does it automatically gzip man pages) -- and I don't find decent
>    information. It's at best outdated, with some random RPM macro
>    collection thrown at me... (SuSE Linux 7.3 is my current development
>    platform that runs RPM.)

I just fought the man page issue a couple of weeks ago with Perl.  Though
it's usually a bigger problem with binary RPMS, there are always the
differences differences between SuSE, Mandrake, and Redhat RPMs (still
waiting for the LSB to fix things like this!) to consider.

> 2. One ALWAYS ends up downloading the wrong tarball for .spec: getting
>    the tar.bz2, you figure the .spec file mentions .tar.gz, and vice
>    versa. Probably some obscure Murphy's law reference buried in here.
>
>    I'd wished that one could tell RPM to try .bz2 if the .gz is not
>    there at least in rpm -tX mode.
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

After trying to find docs on this I can begin to understand your pain.  I am
just being selfish and taking from my experience with the "devel" .bz2
versions that I have to change to .gz.

--
William Hooper

All wiyht ... rho sritched mg kegtops awound ?