[leafnode-list] Please comment: should PCRE be dropped from leafnode's tarball?

Dear leafnode users,

I am considering dropping the PCRE distribution from leafnode-1.9's
tarball, to make it smaller. (leafnode-2 will ship without PCRE
included). That however means that the /separate/ PCRE installation that
is now optional becomes compulsory.

The .tar.bz2 with PCRE is approximately 550 kB in size,
without PCRE it accounts to approximately 260 kB in size, less than half
of that.

  (PCRE-3 has become somewhat large, but I found that it has some
  features like [:space:] as POSIX character class that PCRE-2 did not
  offer, and PCRE-2 seems to be no longer maintained, so I decided to
  switch leafnode's included PCRE to v3.)

Does your distribution ship with PCRE? (it may be called pcrelib or
libpcre and it may also be in the developer packages collection for your
distribution)

Actually, calling leafnode "stable" should prevent me from dropping
PCRE, and if I drop it, I shall bump the version to 1.10.0. However,
cutting the tarball by more than half of its size is tempting.

Your comments will be appreciated.