Re: [leafnode-list] New leafnode-2 snapshot-20020908a available

yvon <yvon.thoraval@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 02:26:39 +0200
> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I made a new leafnode-2 snapshot, 20020908a, available at
>>
>> http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/
>
> I'd like to try out this version (i'm using now 1.9.19) but i'd like to
> know if the newest one solve distrib related dependencies problem. This
> is a question around xinet versus inet.

A word of warning: there's no way back from leafnode-2 snapshots to
leafnode-1 without losing your news spool.

> I'm able to run leafnode with xinet but their is some SIDE effect
> doing that it makes my distrib (yellowdog 2.3 over a PPC 9500) not
> able to use some option of apt-get because inetd and rc-inet are
> requested by leafnode 1.9 and are reputed to be uninstalable over this
> distro.

So file a bug report against your distribution's packages. This is a
package-specific problem that cannot be solved here.

> In short, is leafnode version 2 working with xinet rather than inet, or,
> do we have some choice a .configure time ?

You have to do the inetd or xinetd setup manually, so you get the
choice. Choose either one, but beware of bad inetd implementations (most
do only rate limiting, but do not impose limits on the absolute number
of clients) and make sure you either use tcpd or tell your inetd/xinetd
to use libwrap.