RE: [leafnode-list] "cannot obtain group list" error running

Matthias Andree <mailto:ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Since I consider the newsgroups that I get to be dispensible, and
since
>> I didn't feel like copying over a gig of data over, I didn't copy it.
>> made a whole new partition and reconfigured my fstab to start using
that
>> partition instead.  Then I followed the INSTALL directions like I was
>> making a new installation, starting from step 12 (running fetchnews
for
>> the first time) since all previous steps were already done.

>As you state the permissions are correct, I'm not going into this, and
>you're saying that fetchnews has already stored articles.

>Could you run texpire under strace or truss supervision, like so:

>strace -o /tmp/texpire.trace texpire -f

>Then read /tmp/texpire.trace and look for chdir("/var/spool/news") and
>failures in the following lines and report back.

chdir("lost+found")                     = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Why does "texpire" need access to "lost+found"?

At any rate, I set news as the user and group owner of "lost+found", set
permissions to drwxrwx---, and away it went.  Works fine now.  Curious,
though - it removed the "lost+found" folder - would that cause a problem
in the future?

Thanks for the info.  I've never used strace before; now I know how to
use it.  :-)

Bill