RE: [leafnode-list] "cannot obtain group list" error running

Matthias Andree <mailto:matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> >Then read /tmp/texpire.trace and look for chdir("/var/spool/news")
and
>> >failures in the following lines and report back.
>>
>> chdir("lost+found")                     = -1 EACCES (Permission
denied)

>> Why does "texpire" need access to "lost+found"?

>It does not need to, it just scans the whole /var/spool/news tree, and
>you now made it an own file system -- which should be fine, but I never
>actually tested this, so I never got the idea that texpire would
>consider lost+found to be a newsgroup name component. This problem will
>then occur ever since we expire groups that are not in groupinfo (which
>we must, otherwise, freshly-deleted groups will no longer be expired).

>I shall have texpire skip over lost+found or directories it must not
>access.

Thanks.

Oops - I just realized that I gave credit to the wrong person for
recognizing this bug.  Well, not really, since he responded first - but
I was writing to him under the mistaken impression that he was one of
the program's authors (I went back after my reply to him and checked who
the authors are), and for that, I apologize.  Thank YOU, Matthias, for
also recognizing this bug and I hope to see it fixed in the next
revision.  :-)

>> At any rate, I set news as the user and group owner of "lost+found",
set
>> permissions to drwxrwx---, and away it went.  Works fine now.
Curious,
>> though - it removed the "lost+found" folder - would that cause a
problem
>> in the future?

>That depends. If you lose files through file system corruption, it
>depends on how smart your fsck program is. With modern Linux file
>systems (ext3fs, patched reiserfs) with data=ordered or data=journal,
or
>with BSD softupdates or non-async ffs, such things should never happen
>except for power failures that happen while the hard disk has its write
>cache switched on -- most ship this way though :-(

I'm not sure exactly what all that means - the partition is a simple
ext2fs partition, not sure what data=ordered or data=journal means.  I
also use e2fsprogs-1.27, which comes with Slackware 8.1/9.0 beta, so
it's fairly up-to-date.

Bill