Re: [leafnode-list] Web administration - leafwa

<x-flowed>

On 2002.10.06 23:50 Matthias Andree wrote:
The source code can :-) Seriously, what are your requirements
to the newsq output and why was it a pain?
Well, I first got into the business of fixing leafwa back in
July, when I upgraded from leafnode 1.9.something-old-like-18 to
1.9.24 and found that the output from newsq had changed very
slightly. newsq.php in leafwa parses the command-line output of
newsq, and some of the fields had become aligned differently or
something. That was a trivial fix.

When I moved up to 1.9.27 I found that a banner line was added
and it reports when the queue is empty, so newsq.php had to
change to handle that. This was less trivial due to the way the
response stack was used internally.

Basically, for leafwa to work managing the news queue in its
current form, it relies heavily on the exact output of the newsq
program, so it would be nice if the layout of that ouput was the
same in 1.9.x and 2.x. I've not moved to 2.x myself yet, so I
don't know if there are other issues.

Building anything like this is always going to depend on the
development of the program(s) the front-end is using. I guess in
many ways it would be nicer to build PHP classes which
interacted with leafnode's data files directly, and dig around
in the spool directory. That was not the way leafwa was built in
the first place, and I only got into this to fix my own copy :-)
I wasn't worried too much about the method of obtaining the
underlying information.

AFAICT leafwa was really aimed at leafnode 2.x in the first
place, since it includes local groups management (for example).
I may be attempting to fit it onto my 1.9.27 install for no good
reason other than the fact that *I* would like that to work.
Attempting to maintain it for two different versions of leafnode
may be cumbersome; perhaps I should move to 2.x, and long-term I
will, but I'd like to work with something solid to start with :-)

--
Andy Piper - Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
andy.piper@xxxxxxxxxx