Re: [leafnode-list] Web administration - leafwa

<x-flowed>

On 2002.10.07 10:39 Matthias Andree wrote:
Well, one or the other configuration option has also changed,
the filter file format is different -- these are things that
leafwa
would have to know about.
Hmm. Actually it's possible that those will not affect it yet.
I've not dug deeply into much of the functionality so I'm not
sure.

I am herewith offering a "-P" switch for newsq to print
machine-parsable output.
Sounds useful, yes. Would you look at adding it to both 1.9.x
and 2.x incarnations? From your description of the queue format,
it sounds like you now have messages which can exist with a
different status than just "queued".

This would involve rework of leafwa but in the longer term it
might be nice. Today, it looks at the text output from newsq in
1.9.27, skips the banner line, extracts the message IDs (so it
can use them to access the message files for display) and builds
a table for display with the From/Newsgroups/Subject headers. If
the output is exactly two lines (banner plus "no messages") it
assumes the queue is empty. It is no more intelligent than that.

The other issue currently is that leafwa wants to know and
display the version of leafnode which is installed. At present
it uses the -V switch to newsq. This only works in 2.x, so all
previous versions are listed as "before 2.0" in the screens. Is
there another way of finding the version? In the longer term, if
functionality significantly diverges, this would provide a means
of switching a re-written leafwa backend between v1 and v2
operaion. It would be nice if there was an easy way to get the
version string back, in either branch, in the same way and in
the same format... :-)

If you'd ask me, I'd appreciate if leafwa could cope with
leafnode 1.9.27 as well.
Well, it does that at the moment, that's what I wanted to fix it
for :-)
If the format for newsq output changes again, either leafwa has
to move forward and abandon the old version; stay with the old
version and development stops again; or somehow it should cope
with multiple formats of the output without even knowing what
version it is dealing with... see the problem?
I guess I should make a release. I'm just doing some polishing
and may put something out in the next couple of days for the
sake of feedback. Be aware that really my only work so far has
been a complete tidy of the code - it had clearly grown in a
very unstructured manner - sorting out the UI, and fixing the
newsq function for 1.9.27. I principally use it to delete
messages from the spool and manage newsgroup subscriptions, so
that's what I've worked on. No doubt functionality should grow,
but don't expect a major change from 0.6.1 yet.

Andy

--
Andy Piper - Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
andy.piper@xxxxxxxxxx