Re: [leafnode-list] Web administration - leafwa

<x-flowed>

On 2002.10.07 22:31 Matthias Andree wrote:
Well, yes, we can now have "incomplete" articles in the queue.
I've seen this, I think. If I post an article, then edit it
using the leafwa editor, it appears in the queue as INCOMPLETE.
I wasn't aware of what was happening behind the scenes. If I can
get my head around this later, I could look at fixing it.

Yes, the PHP equivalent of "echo QUIT |
/usr/local/sbin/leafnode" would do. If there's a permission
problem,
connect to the NNTP port and send a QUIT.
Nice ideas. I now have it working in principle for 1.3.27,
but... well it's not exactly straightforward, adds more
privileged binaries to the sudo configuration (echo and
leafnode), and it's next to impossible to reliably extract the
version string using the simple substr function in PHP. The
version number starts at column 34, but where does it end? PHP's
substr doesn't allow anything more complex than fixed start/end
positions.
I should mention at this point that I'm not a PHP expert - I'm
just reasonably competent.

Why was the -V switch added to the 2.x binaries? any chance
porting it back into 1.9.x? It would be nice to be able to get
the information from e.g. a non-privileged binary like newsq, it
adds no further security configuration. If it was reported in a
consistent way, such as, for example, "newsq 1.3.28.cvs" and
"newsq 2.0.0.alpha20020930a", it would be quite simple to
extract as it would just need a start point and substr from
there to the end of line :-)

I'm hardly in a position to be making such sweeping requests,
but I think the idea has merit even without the requirement from
Leafwa.

Andy

--
Andy Piper - Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
andy.piper@xxxxxxxxxx