Re: [leafnode-list] Articles Not Being Posted

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Andree" <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: [leafnode-list] Articles Not Being Posted

> Gerry Doris <gerry@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > OK, first I downloaded and install 1.9.27.  Then I did the chmod u+x to
> > everything in the out.going directory and reran fetchnews.  This time it
> > posted the messages successfully!!!
> >
> > However, all new messages are still going into the out.going directory
> > with permissions of 444 and sit there until I do the chmod again.  Any
> > idea how to make sure the messages are received with the correct
> > permissions?
>
> I'll bet a bar of chocolate that you have two leafnode versions installed,
> and your inetd.conf or xinetd.conf points to the old one.
>
> What were your ./configure options for 1.9.27? If none, make sure that
> your xinetd.conf or inetd.conf points to /usr/local/sbin/leafnode.
>
> Check your version:
>
>       telnet 127.0.0.1 119
>
> then wait for the version, enter quit and that's it. If it's not 1.9.27,
> your install went wrong or your inetd.conf/xinetd.conf must be adjusted
> (don't forget to SIGHUP inetd/xinetd first, and remember that old xinetd
> versions need SIGUSR2 instead).
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

To add to Matthias' comments, it is easy to get confused if updating from
different sources.  I personally use RPM to keep track of what is going on.
You can build and install RPMs from the source tarball you download by doing
an:
rpmbuild -tb leafnode.1.9.27.rel.tar.bz2
rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/leafnode.1.9.27.rel.i386.rpm

And even though Matthias doesn't use RedHat he is very quick to correct
problems with building RPMs!

Disclaimer: I typed the above from memory, so check filenames, options, etc.
--
William Hooper

I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose