Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode Connectivity 1.9.24.rel

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 9:44 pm, you wrote:
> Phil Deane <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > newsgroups and then set up a cron job to check and post every 10
> > mins. I have [...]  And it just hangs like that. The odd time after
> > 20 mins it connects and downloads them, but normally doesn't do
> > anything.
>
> maybe you're tarpitted?  10 minutes!  i check once a day and post five
> times absolut max, and i couldn't read anymore of usenet on one day.
> maybe the admin is ignorant and doesn't know that someone set his
> server up to tarpit anybody connecting more often than twice an hour
> for what could that be but a spammer...
>
> no.  there are interactive clients connecting once per article.  so i
> admit i don't understand anything ;)

I read some high posting newsgroups, usually alt.os.linux.mandrake which can
have 500 posts a day. i do not stay permenantly connected, my ISP only lets
me connect for 2 hours before an automatic kick off, but it also happens the
first check of the day. Today it does seem to be connecting, but seems to
take 10+ mins to connect and then downloads the messages. I am flummoxed. I
rarely post, just lurk, and if i check a few times it is easier scanning 150
posts than 1000 at a time :)

--

Phil Deane
http://www.MiracleExpress.force9.co.uk