Re: [leafnode-list] Using FQDN

matthew.malthouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 21/10/2002 13:17:30 Matthias Andree wrote:
> >matthew.malthouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am Montag, den 21. Oktober 2002:
> >> Last week I had 1.9.24 decline to put up 3 posts with the same message.
> >> However my art ID is made up by slrn and of the format
> >>
> >> <slrn-generated-rand-string><local-user-name>@<my-own-fqdn>
> >>
> >> I do own my own domain so no one else should be using it, even so the
>
> rest
>
> >> should make the ID as near unique as is practical so what was LN
> >> complaining about?
> >>
> >> The posts were not sent, but neither did they end up in failed.postings
>
> or
>
> >> anywhere else.  They were just expunged.
> >
> >What software does the upstream server run?
>
> I'm uncertain, there's nothing in the headers that give clue.  I suspect
> some Windows software; it's NTL (UK) so does anyone know?

That's your answer. I've seen exactly the same leafnode behaviour with NTL's
new news software. I reported it to them a few weeks ago but haven't had a
reply.

The problem seems to be that leafnode sends an nntp stat command to see if the
article id already exists. The new software is sending a 223 response to this
instead of a 430. If you telnet to the server and it identifies itself as
Typhoon v2.0.0 the stat command works and will return a 430 if the article
does not exist. If isn't the Typhoon software you get a 223. It's only the
stat command that is wrong. Head and body commands for an unknown article
return 430.

Last time I checked news.ntlworld.com and news.cable.ntlworld.com were running
Typhoon and newscache.cable.ntlworld.com was running the new software.

Perhaps you could try reporting this to NTL as well and see if we can get them
to fix it.

Regards,
Dave.