Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode Connectivity 1.9.24.rel

On Sunday 20 October 2002 12:05 pm, you wrote:
> Phil Deane <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I read some high posting newsgroups, usually alt.os.linux.mandrake which
> > can have 500 posts a day. i do not stay permenantly connected, my ISP
> > only lets me connect for 2 hours before an automatic kick off, but it
> > also happens the first check of the day. Today it does seem to be
> > connecting, but seems to take 10+ mins to connect and then downloads the
> > messages. I am flummoxed. I rarely post, just lurk, and if i check a few
> > times it is easier scanning 150 posts than 1000 at a time :)
>
> Please obtain a debug log -- see the DEBUGGING section in README -- and
> re-run leafnode with -vvvv or -vvvvv to try to figure what leafnode
> does, and be sure to include the time your syslog logged as well. But
> please:
>
> 1. only post relevant excerpts around the "10+ mins"
> 2. do not attach, but please include. The list software is hosed.

Ok

Recently it has been connecting but being VERY slow in doing so, at the end of
the day I dont mind waiting, but for some reason I am having a problem, which
I am sure has an easy answer , just i am getting frustrated with it

When I type fetchnews -vv as root i get

[root@localhost phil]# fetchnews -fvvv
1.9.24.rel: verbosity level is 3
Trying to connect to news.virgin.net:nntp ... failed.
WARNING: found no server with posting permission!

This is what syslog shows

Oct 21 23:03:23 localhost fetchnews[2748]: 1.9.24.rel: verbosity level is 3
Oct 21 23:03:23 localhost fetchnews[2748]: unable to open
/var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo: No such file or directory
Oct 21 23:07:01 localhost fetchnews[2748]: wrote active file with 0 lines
Oct 21 23:07:18 localhost fetchnews[2753]: 1.9.24.rel: verbosity level is 3
Oct 21 23:07:18 localhost fetchnews[2753]: unable to open
/var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo: No such file or directory
Oct 21 23:07:49 localhost fetchnews[2753]: WARNING: found no server with
posting permission!

The groupinfo file is 0bytes, i tried renaming it, deleting it, using the -f
option, and all it does is create a file with 0 bytes in it, my server is
returning my pings, can anyone offer any advice??

Not surew where the problem is, when using mandrake 8.2 and it hink the same
version of leafnode it worked flawlessly.

Thanks in advance

--

Phil Deane
http://www.MiracleExpress.force9.co.uk