Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode 1.9.28 and SSL update

Andy Piper <andy.piper@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 22:07, Andy Piper wrote:
>> ... It certainly doesn't work if I point Pan
>> directly at localhost configured with stunnel to SF, passing username
>> and password from Pan itself.
>
> That would be because SF was asleep. It worked eventually. This implies
> that authentication details need to be set inside the leafnode
> configuration file, which is as I expected - but worth making clear in
> the FAQ.

The FAQ has been updated and is now also available as FAQ.pdf, FAQ.xml and
FAQ.txt format from http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/ -- of course,
FAQ.html continues to be available.

I have removed the only_groups_pcre line for now from the FAQ, because
SourceForge's NNTP server is a pile of dung, leafnode-1 will not work at
all until they implement the HEAD and BODY commands, and neither
leafnode version will be able to post until they implement HEAD and STAT
-- and fix their banners. They claim RFC compliance but it will take
some work until they're there. They hacked something up quick that works
with Nuttscrape, but it rather looks like an empirical implementation,
not one based on RFC-977/2980 :-(

200 Sourceforge NNTPd v3.0 (nettwerk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ready
authinfo m-a
502 Unknown 'authinfo' command argument 'm-a'
help
501 Function 'help' does not exist or is unimplimented
authinfo user m-a
381 Please send your password
authinfo pass TopfSecret
281 Authentication OK
mode reader
201 Posting enabled.. go ahead

Ouch. That should have been 200 now...

Needless to say that the mailing list address bounces and the list
archives are inaccessible, even to subscribers...

| This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
|
| A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
| recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
|
|   mcgoo-nntpbeta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|     unknown local-part "mcgoo-nntpbeta" in domain "lists.sourceforge.net"

I'm pissed. They've goofed up big time.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs