Re: [leafnode-list] Message-ID already in use.

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Grahame Cooper <Grahame@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>>>Can you check whether the article is available upstream and if it's
>>>yours? I believe what you're seeing is an artifact of the current
>>>implementation, to avoid losing articles.
>>
>>Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. I have checked (with
>>grep) the leafnode repository a couple of hours after the attempted
>>posting and there is definitely no message with that ID in it there.
>>(This is after several suns of fetchmail against the upstream server.)
>>
>>Other than that, I don't how to check the upstream server for a
>>particular message ID.
>

> Either connect a newsreader directly to the upstream server, or do:
>
> telnet up.stream.ser.ver 119
> head <message-id>
> quit

OK, did that and got 430 No Such Article. (Sorry, I should have known to
do that!)

>>Ah, I think I understand what you are getting at. I am pretty sure that
>>the example I showed in my original email was the first (and only)
>>attempt to post the message. I switched off all my news crontabs and
>>tried experimenting with manually initiated fetchnews runs. The file is
>>being deleted from out.going on the first attempt to post to the
>>upstream server.
>
> Strange. Are you sure your leafnode program versions are consistently
> 1.9.27? No remainders of older versions in a different directory?
> (/usr/sbin vs. /usr/local/sbin, for example)

I did have version 1.9.24 installed (from Mandrake 9 RPM). That was the
first installation of leafnode on this machine and it did have this
problem. I uninstalled the RPM, then installed 1.9.27 (compiled from
source) to see if it would solve the problem. I checked the relevant
sbin directories and the 1.9.24 binaries had been removed correctly.

>>Is it possible that the failure is really due to a different error, but
>>is being reported as Message-ID already in use?
>
> That should not happen, but if it did, you'd find this out with the
> debug instructions in README (set debugmode = 2 instead).

OK, thanks. I will have a look at this.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Grahame