RE: [leafnode-list] Message-ID already in use.

That is not accurate.  Leafnode only keeps the article in the out.going
queue until it finds it in an upstream server.  According to my example
above, the message is removed from the queue before a complete fetchnews
run has finished.  I just think a complete fetchnews run has to finish
before the message is removed from the queue.

I understand your argument about the network traffic.  That is true, but
I think increased reliability is better.  Especially in a world when
usenet traffic is not very reliable.  Or at least most of the servers
out there are not very reliable.

> one more thing to consider is the number of non-compliant servers that
> are even paid services.  people might want to use a server not
> carrying enough groups, but doesn't cost.  the tendency i've seen are
> more (non-)public servers carrying non-USENET groups like spamcop,
> sourceforge etc.
>
> i'm in favour of the current scheme.

Jeff