Re: [leafnode-list] groups listed twice in groupinfo, and other

On Friday 08 November 2002 21:49, you wrote:
> Thu Oct 31 13:20:36 2002
>
> Did you run fetchnews -f at that time? If yes, then something is
> really hosed. If fetchnews ran without -f, then I need to look for a
> bug.

It might be entirely possible... However... My backups indicate mtime
for groupinfo on Nov 1 19:33 UTC, and at this time there are no
duplicates at all.

I don't know how many days fetchnews was running while in fetch
entire-list type behaviour... I did try fetchnews -f several times to
see if I could manually correct the problem or see any error messages.
There were none, fetchnews ran ok to all servers, and still got all
list on next run...

> > I seem to recall that I did touch /var/spool/news/active.read and
> > chown news.news /var/spool/news/active.read to stop fetchenws from
> > re-acquiring the kust if newsgroups over and over again (this was
> > eating lots of bandwidth)... Could this have triggered or caused
> > the duplicate groupinfo lines I'm seeing now? (active.read file was
> > nonexistant before i touch'd it, /var/spool/news has ownership
> > news.news and drwxrwsr-x)
>
> That would have quelched fetchnews' -f option, but should not (at
> least not by itself) cause duplicate news groups.

Yes, my aim with this move was to stop "fetchnews" from constantly
fetching list of all groups over and over again (It did this *without*
the -f option).

> Does running fetchnews -f fix the problem? Please tell me whether
> that fetchnews -f run reached all servers or if any one could not be
> connected to or broke the connection in "mid-flight".

No server broke the connection mid-flight. My first reaction when
seeing fetchnews out of cron fetching list of all groups continously
was just that, to run fetchnews -f manually. As I said, this did not
fix the issue, and fetchnews continued to retrive list of all
newsgroups until I manually created active.read.

I'm more curious about figuring out what happened to cause all this odd
behaviour, as I can always restore the spool from the slightly less
than a week old backup.

- JK