Re: [leafnode-list] Cannot obtain lock file, aborting.

Le Jeudi 14 Novembre 2002 20:58, vous avez écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Nicolas wrote:
> > Le Jeudi 14 Novembre 2002 20:27, vous avez écrit :
> > > Nicolas <oxstone@xxxxxxx>:
> > >
> > > also, leafnode drops priviledges.  what do you mean by "both users
> > > root and news"?
> >
> > I mean news are fetched by the user "news". It's in its crontab. I tried
> > to fetch news using the root user too, but that made no difference... =(
>
> This may be redundant, but have you tried simply re-booting?  Not long
> ago, I had process that would NOT die, and others that would die but not
> completly - they would not release all their resources, including
> file-locks.  Very bizarre.
>
> NOTHING short of a re-boot could make it right again.  Eventually found it
> was being caused by ONE bad secton on a HD, that just happened to be in a
> meta-data area and so was affecting a lot of processes and files.
>
> Just another Shot In The Dark, and of course YMMV.
>
> Michael O'Quinn

Well, I reboot 4 days ago, there should not be any problem I think. The
harddrive is a recent Maxtor which runs perfectly. BUT, you talked about a
process that would not die. To check this, I typed:
#ps -ef | grep fetch
Which gave the following result:
news      4832  4828  0 Nov12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews

I think there's a problem here!
But what can I do? I could, of course, kill this process. But I don't plan to
kill that process each day! I would like leafnode to run smoothly without
having to kill it!!! Any idea?