Re: [leafnode-list] Need Leafnode 2.0?

Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am running Leafnode 1.9.24 on a dial-up Internet connection.  The download
> process is too slow.  I believe that Leafnode 2.0 changed the download method
> and is a lot faster, but all are beta.
>

> Is there a version in the 2.0 series recommended for everyday use?

You can try to install the most current leafnode-2 alpha, currently
20021108a (it needs an additional patch to compile if your compiler is
e. g. gcc 2.95.X or otherwise not C99 aware, it's next to the tarball on
my site, see the signature for the URL.) which is the only leafnode-2
version I'll debug and fix.

If you want to give it a whirl without killing your existing leafnode-1
version, use --prefix and possibly --sysconfdir to install leafnode-2
into a separate directory. Copy, then comment out your original inetd
line or xinetd server line and edit it to use the new path and give your
inetd or recent xinetd SIGHUP (older xinetd need SIGUSR2).

Note that you cannot share filter files or spool and you may have to
modify the configuration, so you cannot use --sysconfdir=/etc/leafnode,
try --prefix=/opt/leafnode2 --sysconfdir=/etc/leafnode2 instead.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs