Re: [leafnode-list] Cannot obtain lock file, aborting.

"Michael O'Quinn" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>> "Michael O'Quinn" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > Unless I'm completely blowing smoke, "kill -HUP" IS the way to gracefully
>> > stop fetchnews.
>>
>> Strange weed that you had in your pipe. kill -HUP is as good as kill
>> -KILL and should not be used.
>
> I guess I just walked right into that one, didn't I?

I'm afraid you did. However, when really bad things have happened to
your groupinfo, let your users know so they can reset their .newsrc or
use "show read articles" to get all of them just in case.

> Obviously I am doing this all wrong.  I thought we had discussed this
> previously on the list, but I can't find anything in the archives, so your
> guess is as good as mine about pipe content.

I may also have had bad tea in my cup when writing any single line of
code, but I know for sure leafnode cannot handle SIGKILL. Nothing in
user-space can.

> I'll change to SIGTERM, and drop the SIGKILL.  I'll also report on any
> permanent hangs.  It turns out that the hard disk problem had been
> creeping up on me for some time, and it WAS on the disk mounted on
> /var/spool/news, so maybe that was the problem in the first place.
>
> Also, I'm running version 1.9.21.rel.  Does that affect this
> discussion?

Sort of, 1.9.21 is not exactly current any more, later versions try
harder to keep the groupinfo file up to date.

I advise that noone runs a version older than 1.9.27, and if that gives
some headaches, the upcoming 1.9.30 should fix them.

> Cheers, and watch what you smoke!

Nah, I'll rather not smoke at all.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs