Re: [leafnode-list] groups listed twice in groupinfo, and other

Jan Knutar <jknutar@xxxxxx> writes:

> You are very correct! One of the upstream servers DOES have both
> alt.2600.aol and alt.2600.AOL groups! It seems to run
> "InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.6b3 31-Jul-1997".
>
> Easy fix would be to remove this from config and do fetchnews -f gain,
> I presume?

Indeed. Since 1.9.25, you can also add "noactive = 1" to its
configuration (below the server key word), then fetchnews will not
download active files from that server.

I can think of two "real" fixes:

1. change leafnode to make newsgroup names case sensitive

2. introduce some efficient tracking mechanism to prevent the same group
   from being added again in different upper/lower case.

I'll rather go for 2, because some software treats these names case
insensitively, and upper-case is not to be used.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs