Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode Daemon cannot be connected to

Falk Husemann <falkhusemann@xxxxxx>:

> And because I want my leafndoe to act as a newsserver for 10 to 25
> people I added a fetchnews Entry in /et/crontab:
>
> <--->
> */5 *   * * *   news    /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews
> <--->

basically, it should not matter, but i don't believe you need to run
fetchnews every five minutes!!  once a day may be not enough, and in
case you want posts to appear on time in any threads you might want to
run "fetchnews -P" in an additional crontab entry, say, once an hour.

you should understand that fetchnews can't complete within five
minutes if your upstreams are slow.  this will not break anything as
it uses a lockfile, but i can imagine it getting into trouble
nonetheless, with hard to explain symptoms.  my advice would be to
determine if fetchnews has the chance to complete (use the logs, the
verbose flags and maybe the debug flags as explained in the
documentation in manual invocations) and to lenghten that interval to
at least an hour.

did you ever run "fetchnews -f"?  this sort of initializes the show in
that it reads the active files of your upstreams.

> I also added a Line in /etc/inetd.conf to start Leafnode:
> <--->
> nntp    strem   tcp     nowait  news    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
> <--->

there's a typo in that line.  please consult the manual pages.

> The required Lines in /etc/hosts.allow and .deny were also made with
> the added value of "192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0" to allow LAN-Clients to
> connect. Now if I try to connect to the server with "telnet localhost
> 119" or by a LAN-Client I get an error that the connection was refused.
> Even if I comment all lines dedicated to leafnode in /etc/hosts.allow
> and .deny out.

i think the netmask for a 192.168.x.y IP is supposed to be
255.255.0.0, but as you did not post the clients IPs, this might not
be the solution.  and i think you don't need entries in hosts.deny, so
you could concentrate on hosts.allow.  if you're using inetd, it too
has logging!

clemens