Re: [leafnode-list] Need Leafnode 2.0?

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:27, you wrote:
> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Everything then compiled successfully.  The next question was: How do
> > I tell my newsreader to look at the new directories?  It is pointed to
> > my local host.
>
> You'd need to change the xinetd.conf or inetd.conf line that points to
> the old leafnode-1 executable, replace that by the new path and give
> your [x]inetd a SIGHUP. Older xinetd versions need SIGUSR2 instead.

I did that.  I have xinetd version 2.3.4. according to the RPM suffix.   I
modified it as follows:

#New nntp for leafnode 2.
service nntp
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        server          = /opt/leafnode2/sbin/leafnode
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}
#End of nntp.

To restart it I have been using "service xinetd restart."  The man page
metions both SIGUSR2  (causes a hard reconfiguration) and SIGHUP (causes a
state dump.)  After running "service xinetd restart"  I ran fetchnews from
the /opt/leafnode/sbin/directory.  If I run fetchnews or leafnode without a
Path, I get the original 1.9.24 executables.  After changing
/etc/xinetd.d/leafnode and running fetchnews -f, my newsreader (knode) could
not find the new group list to select from (at the moment, it is saying
"Unable to resolve hostname",) so I copied the old "interesting.groups" files
across.  Then:-

> >root#  (the first newsgroup): will fetch 100 articles (this limit was set
by
> > initialfetch)
> >
> > It then appeared to hang, but the news articles are there.  I had 97 the
> > first time, the remaining 3 on the second run, but it didn't proceed to
> > the next group.

Also, there was no output to the screen, although I was running "fetchnews
-vvv."

> I'd like to see a stack backtrace and possibly a "ngrep port 119" of
> that session, make sure to overwrite the password in the ngrep trace if
> you need to log in to your news server.

Sorry, this is way out of my depth.  I cannot find a man page for either
command.  I am basically an end user who is not afraid to dabble (a bit more
than a "keyboard and monitor" man.)