Re: [leafnode-list] Cannot obtain lockfile

"William Hooper" <whooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Actually it looks like SuSE 8.1 comes with Leafnode 1.9.24.  The newest
> stable Leafnode is 1.9.29.  Moral of the story is that the distros don't
> always include the newest versions of software.

As to SuSE, don't rely on anything. As to 8.1, they ship fetchmail
5.9.13. They ship leafnode 1.9.24. They ship an ntp software that still
does not work with broadcastclient mode, although I reported that (WITH
PATCH) against 7.3 already. INN is broken. WTF are they doing? Certainly
not testing their stuff, but discarding useful software such as GNU
octave or maildrop. Bridge-utils are not shipped. Let alone YaST1 ->
YaST2 regressions: YaST2 no longer does the detailed per-partition "is
there enough space left" check that YaST1 did. This bestowed countless
hours of fixing up hosed installations with 0-length /etc/init.d/* files
-- boy that was fun. Not. :-/

I have told them more than once that newer leafnode or fetchmail
versions contained *CRITICAL* bugfixes, they never listened.

Of course, the "leafnode-1 is stable" project has failed miserably, I
did near to a dozen more releases than I thought at first, and I'm
fixing up regressions of the early 1.9.2x series at times -- so
leafnode-1 effectively is a moving target, and distributors don't like
these.

I'll have to praise Debian though, Mark Brown does an excellent job, and
now that I'm the FreeBSD port maintainer myself, I can only blame
lameness on me (or the ports committers being overworked).

Real morale: go check if your software is really
current. http://freshmeat.net/ and the projects' home pages are your
friends.

Second morale: software is not stable unless you stop fixing bugs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs