Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode et. al. - security

Werner Partner <kairos@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm about buildung a familiy server with nntp, smtp, pop3. Something
> else will be added.
> I was warnend about "holes" to internet and it was said that I must care
> about security.

May I ask that you ask this question in a more appropriate forum? There
are various security related newsgroups, security-oriented web sites,
FAQs, and good books.

If you have leafnode-specific questions to ask, then go ahead, but let's
not pollute this list with mail issues.

Last words:

as to hosts.deny: most MTA implement their own access control outside
hosts.deny (hosts.deny requires cooperation of the daemons or the
software launching these daemons, such as xinetd or inetd).

You can fill books with that, and someone has done that :-)

As a part of the issues is in-depth security, I prefer to run secure
software. I currently trust Postfix for SMTP and Courier-IMAP for POP3
and IMAP.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/