Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode 1.9.31.devel1 available, to address

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Richard van der Hoff contacted me with a patch to change the timeout
> handling code, he figured that on non-BSD systems, including Linux,

Actually, it's BSD-compatible systems that have the problem.  I'm no
expert on any of this, but my signal(2) manpage says:

'The original Unix signal() would reset the handler to SIG_DFL, and
System V (and the Linux kernel and libc4,5) does the same.  On the
other hand, BSD does not reset the handler, but blocks new instances of
this signal from occurring during a call of the handler.  The glibc2
library follows the BSD behaviour.'

It's the fact that BSD blocks the signal, and the signal is never
unblocked again, that causes the problems.

I'm also a bit dubious about your addition of
   #define _XOPEN_SOURCE 500
Matthias.  signal(2) goes on to say:

'If one on a  glibc2  system  defines  a  feature  test  macro  such  as
_XOPEN_SOURCE  or  uses  a  separate  sysv_signal function, one obtains
classical behaviour.  This is not recommended.'

It seems a bit of a retrograde step to force the old behaviour.

Rich