Re: [leafnode-list] not retrieving messages

"Faine, Mark" <Mark.R.Faine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Ok, I successfully compiled, installed and configured leafnode, retrieved
> (or at least partially) retrieved a newrsc from multiple hosts and
> configured two Usenet clients to connect and read messages.

There are known compatibility issues with "delaybody" which you seem to
have enabled in /etc/leafnode/config. Articles marked for download show
up after the next fetchnews run at the earliest. Some newsreaders may
not show delayed bodies.

> Outlook Express:
>
> I get a listing of new messages, if I click on one in the preview pane I
> sees some text indicating that this message has been marked for download. I
> don't however see the message.  I can't figure out how to make the message
> display.

Outlook Express is a virus slingshot and violates pretty much any
standard and convention you can find, stay away from it if you can.

> I have tried changing delaybody but it doesn't seem to matter either
> way.

Which leafnode version have you just installed?

Did you run fetchnews after changing delaybody? (There may still be bugs.)

You may be able to recover by doing:

on the leafnode computer:
1. disable delaybody (i. e. set it to 0 in /etc/leafnode/config)
2. remove all articles:
   find /var/spool/leafnode/ '!' -name '*.*' -mindepth 1 -type f -print \
   | xargs rm
3. run texpire -f
4. remove the files that name your servers from /var/spool/news/leaf.node
5. run fetchnews -f

on the computer running the newsreader:

6. launch your newsreader, have it reread the group list and try again.
   reset the .newsrc file if necessary.

> Also, can fetchnews run in some sort of daemon mode or is cron the only
> option besides manual invocation?

fetchnews or texpire have no such mode, because cron provides for the
necessary functionality. If you want to go without cron but run it two
hours after completion of the previous download, try:

/bin/sh -c 'while true ; do fetchnews ; sleep 7200 ; done'

An alternative to cron (that I haven't tried myself, so I don't
recommend, but only mention it) is uoschedule by Uwe Ohse, see
http://www.ohse.de/uwe/uschedule.html

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/