Re: [leafnode-list] standalone

"Faine, Mark" <Mark.R.Faine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I run Gentoo, inetd is installed by default during the system installation
> but it is not added to the default runlevel.  I have been using Gentoo for
> about 6 months now and I'm running several different kinds of
> servers/services and have not yet felt the need to enable inetd until I
> installed leafnode.  I went with xinetd though, seemed to work better.
> Still think a standalone version would be nice.

Nice though it might be, it's yet another reinvention of the wheel.

I am aware of at least four programs that can launch leafnode:

1. inetd
2. tcpserver of DJB's ucspi-tcp package
3. xinetd
4. g2s

While inetd is discouraged because most inetd implementations get their
resource limit wrong (they limit the number of service starts per
minute, which is only good to protect against loops, but not against
attacks or resource exhaustion), tcpserver is fine, and xinetd is mostly
fine, but xinetd is not yet mature. g2s has stopped dead in its tracks
some time ago, I don't know how usable it is. It has been recommended to
me some times. I don't endorse it.

tcpserver, like DJB or no, is likely to be the most robust and efficient
leafnode start mechanism you can get.

Additionally, for SSL-wrapped access, I know:

5. stunnel

Why should I go the length to reimplement: a) forking, b) daemon signal
hacks, c) access control, d) resource control in my program when the
super-servers such as inetd do all of this for me and are in the default
install of most systems? In fact, leafnode 1.9 has had "support"
(i. e. installation instructions and helper scripts) to go with
tcpserver and daemontools for a while now.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/