Re: [leafnode-list] trying to change home directory for news...

Gino Filicetti <gino@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Guys,
>
> I'm looked over the website and searched the archives of this mailing
> list, but I couldn't find any info pertaining to the following. Please
> excuse me if this has been answered already.
>
> I'm trying to have leafnode live in "/home/news" instead of
> "/var/spool/news".... the reason being that I have to partitions:
>
> - / - 4GB
> - /home - 80GB
>
> As you can imagine, I would much rather keep leafnode and all the
> downloaded articles on my biggest drive.
>
> So my question: Is the /var/spool/news directory hardcoded into
> leafnode? Or can I change this setting?

It's a compile time option, and if you change the home, you'll
effectively lose your spool. While there are ways to copy over the hard
links (cpio or tar), the hashing function used to distribute the
message.id files will break because it has a bug that takes the length
of the full path (including the prefix) -- I cannot fix this in leafnode
1.9 because people would lose their spool just from updating if I made
this change.

A reasonable workaround though is to copy everything over WHILE KEEPING
THE HARD LINKS AS HARD LINKS, remove /var/spool/news and then place a
symlink from /var/spool/news to the new location, say you copied it to
/home/spool/news:

ln -sfn /home/spool/news /var/spool/news

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/