Re: [leafnode-list] trying to change home directory for news...

Gino Filicetti <gino@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I copied everything over, but I had no idea that hard links were being
> employed..... so it's a little late for that.
> I have no qualms in deleting all stored messages and starting again
> though... is that what I should do? Uninstall the rpm, and then
> reinstall it, this time doing the copy with the hard links intact?

The programs are fine, it's the spool that suffers when the hard links
are destroyed. They are used to a) guarantee proper expiration, b) save
space. The latter won't hurt with a private-use spool on a 80 GB
partition, the former will, because articles are about to expire early
and incompletely. They may be accessible by article number for a while
but not by message ID any more.

If you have the original /var/spool/news around, then yes. Otherwise,
just kill your spool and run texpire after that.

find /home/spool/news/ '!' -name '*.*' -mindepth 1 -type f | xargs rm
    ------------------
      replace this by the new leafnode path

> Or is there some way to repair it? (Again, I don't mind wiping out all
> stored articles).

The hard links are for the articles. leafnode-1 has no repair function
to fix this.

> Right now, leafnode seems to work, but there is something going on re:
> posting... I haven't been able to post messages. It looks like they go
> through, but never end up in the newsgroup.

Articles show up or no, texpire screwing up and expiring early

> Also...  why use the f and n options when doing the symlink?

Means: No dereference, and kill old file first. This prevents the
symlink from being placed _below_ /var/spool/news.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/