Re: [leafnode-list] Name conflicts?

Lars Rander schrieb am Donnerstag, den 26. Dezember 2002:

> I just updated from 1.9.25.rel to 1.9.30.rel, and now, everytime i connect
> to the server, it tells me this:
>
> Newsgroup name conflict: alt.nuke.the.USA vs. alt.nuke.the.usa
> Newsgroup name conflict, chose alt.nuke.the.usa

> It doesn?t seem to interfere with the normal operation of leafnode, but is
> there a way to fix this?

fetchnews -f MIGHT fix it, but if it does not, there's not much we could
do, I might only add a command line or config file option to quelch the
warnings. It's usually nothing serious, because the a in alt.* stands
for anarchy ;-) Seriously, the usual rules (all lower-case letters in
newsgroup names) aren't always applied to alt.* groups because they've
got a somewhat relaxed creation procedure. Someone sends a newgroup and
hopes the group propagates. Some other server has the same newsgroup
name lower-case; and after I got complaints leafnode wasn't working
properly with these case differences, I decided leafnode would choose
the lower-case version. Some upstream servers might have both
alt.nuke.the.USA and alt.nuke.the.usa now, and then these warnings will
ship.

Try connecting to your upstream with

telnet your.upstream.server 119

then type

list newsgroups alt.nuke.the.*

and if it has both the .usa and .USA groups, then contact the news
administrator and tell him about the problem. He might remove one of the
conflicting groups.

> Also, I'm rather tired of having /var/log/messages filled with leafnodes
> rather useless output when I?m trying to find something else in the log.
> Ofcourse, every once in a while I actually need to see leafnodes output...
> So, can I let leafnode have it?s own logfile, instead of writing everyting
> to the standard syslog? Or (as a last resort) get it to shut up so it
> writes nothing to the syslog?

Leafnode logs to the syslog as the "news" facility, and every syslog
daemon I've seen so far can filter or reroute log messages by that
facility, please check man syslogd and man syslog.conf. You might want
to change or put

news.warn<TAB>/var/log/news.log
(or warning, depending on your syslogd)

or news.err<TAB>/var/log/news.log
(or error, depending on your syslogd)

into your /etc/syslog.conf file, touch /var/log/news.log, send SIGHUP to
your syslogd. If you find you need more logging, you change the err or
warn to info or debug or * and send another SIGHUP to your syslogd.

On many systems, kill -s HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid` will work to
send a SIGHUP signal to syslogd.

HTH,