Re: [leafnode-list] lock file permission

* Matthias Andree on Sun, Dec 29 2002 at 03:13:
> Christian Ebert schrieb am Sonntag, den 29. Dezember 2002:
> > $ sudo fetchnews
> > mkstemp(/sw/var/run/fetchnews.lck.0000000362) failed: Permission denied
> > Cannot obtain lock file, aborting.
>
> The permissions of the parent directories may be wrong. Unaware of fink,
> I can't say exactly what's going on. I presume that /sw/var/run is not
> owned by the user "news" (or group writable and owned by the group "news").

Ownership was right, but forgot the group writable
thing. - Everything is running just fine again.

[...]
> > 200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.9.25.rel running at localhost (my fqdn: krille.blacktrash.org)
>
> That's outdated though. 1.9.31.rel has just been released, you may want
> to update. 1.9.31 should be a smoother compile on MacOS X than 1.9.25
> was, and it fixes a lot of bugs 1.9.25 had.

I'm no unix geek, but still a spoiled Mac brat, so I
don't dare to compile myself - yet.

> Bcc'ing Christian Swinehart (Fink leafnode package maintainer);
> Christian, please update the Fink leafnode package and use a
> subdirectory for the lockfile, such as
> /sw/var/run/leafnode/fetchnews.lck if Fink insists on /sw/var/run not
> belonging to the user "news", to avoid this particular problem. Thanks.

As far as I can see I've got the latest version for
MacOS 9.1, and _i_ was the particular problem.

Thanks a whole lot for the amazingly fast support
though!

Wer auf sein Elend tritt, steht höher.

_HÖLDERLIN: H Y P E R I O N_ <http://www.blacktrash.org>