Re: [leafnode-list] Perhaps slightly OT, but a leafnode

Anders Jarnberg <linuxdude@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm still running 2.0b8_ma9 and happy with it. However, starting 27/12
> I'm having major problems with texpire. I have scheduled texpire to run
> at 0300 every day, but since that date it does not complete. Instead,
> it hangs somewhere when running, locking the whole system making it
> impossible to use and access both from the console or from ssh-ing in
> to it. It also makes the disklight stay on. The only way to escape
> out of it is to reset the system.

What hardware do you use? IDE drive, SCSI drive? What drive and model?
Any hdparm tuning? What chipset is on the controller or adaptor? What
driver are you using (there are two drivers for Adaptec 7XXX chipsets
and three for NCR/Symbios/LSI 53C8XX chipsets)?

I've seen systems not recover from SCSI errors.

How long have you waited for the system to come back? Longer than a
minute?

This is probably not a leafnode problem. From your later mails, it looks
as though you're using reiserfs, which is not exactly mature. Try
updating your kernel (SuSE are shipping an update kernel for 8.1) and
your reiserfs to the latest available version, and try reiserfsprogs
3.6.4 or newer (3.6.5.pre maybe) from the http://namesys.com/ web site
and see if running reiserfsck --check can turn up something. I think
you'll have to build reiserfsprogs from source.

> Trying to run texpire with -f -vvvv doesn't really show where it hangs,
> but my guess would be it's when trying to texpire the group
> alt.binaries.multimedia.babylon5, as the group prior to it gets
> completed according to the info on screen.

Valid guess.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/