Re: [leafnode-list] doing fsync after fetching news

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:29:36PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Andrey Ulanov <drey@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> I use leafnode with reiserfs. The problem appears when i reboot the
>> system without syncing disks. Does leafnode do fsync for ever
>> fetched message? It seems it does not.

> Welcome to the world of meta data journalling file systems. They recover
> the file names for you, but not the file contents after a crash. There's
> nothing leafnode could fix.

Yes, i know.
But many MTA's solves this doing fsync for every message after storing
them on disk.

> fsync() for articles fetched from the upstream would slow down fetching
> even more.

At least there could be special configure option.

>> And client hangs up waiting for the reply from server. And to fix the
>> problem i need to remove corrupted messages by hands.

> Oh hum, there might be another leafnode bug, or it might be a client
> bug. Can you send me one of the broken article files to my private
> address?

Just write one any character to file (without ending cr/lf).
I tested this with slrn and mutt (patched with nntp).

--
with best regards, Andrey Ulanov.