[leafnode-list] Starting tin

Hi All,
I've only been using leafnode for just over a week having previously used
inn/suck/tin for some years.
Twice in that short time my 'interesting.groups' directory has emptied and
fetchnews has stopped getting the news. Eventually I discovered that I need
to start reading the news with 'tin -r' in order to populate
'interesting.groups'.
In the past I had always used 'tin -z' so that only unread articles were
presented. Obviously it's not a major problem now that I know how to
maintain the 'interesting.groups' directory nor is it really a leafnode
problem, I'd just like to know the difference between 'tin -z' and 'tin -r'
and why one affects leafnode and the other doesn't.

tia

--
John