Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20030127a released

>Ok, I decided to get this latest snapshot for the Leafwa development
>I am doing, and I decided to try the old RPM install method by
>building it with the rpmbuild -tb that was mentioned in another
>message.
>
>Mandrake 8.2 w/ security patches
>Built an x586 RPM
>rpmbuild -tb leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20030127a
>rpm -i leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20030127a
>
>Am I missing something in README, or is there something missing
>about the steps you go through to avoid this at step 15:
>
># fetchnews
>cannot stat /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo: No succh file or directory, may cause bad performance
>Segmentation fault
>
>The same thing happens with texpire.
>
>I am installing leafnode strictly for local.groups use...  I did create a
>local.groups file, but didn't figure I should be making a groupinfo file
>since leafnode normally does that for me when I edit local.groups.
>
>I suppose I'm suggesting clarification if an RPM is used.  I don't seem to
>remember running into this when I did a make install...
>
>In any event, I wouldn't really have thought a Segmentation fault was a
>friendly way of saying I am an idiot and need to read the manual...  :-)
>
>--

Heck, I created an empty groupinfo, and texpire just gives me seg faults
and dumps "erased state pid" messages in /var/log/news/news.notice. but
the lock file persists in /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck.  If I check to
be sure the process is not active, delete the file, and run texpire
again, it seg faults and leaves the fetchnews lock file there.

telnet localhost 119 gives the proper response.

But I can't get any local groups to configure.  I've made sure news:news
ownership is on the local.groups and groupinfo files.  /var/spool/news
contents looks right to the unpracticed eye.

When I try to connect and get a list of groups with my client, in
news.notice I get:

---
local  host: krayp120.worldnet.att.net:119 (192.168.0.253)
cannot get hostname: no such host (h_errno=1)
remote host: 192.168.0.1:3323 (192.168.0.1)
---

# hostname
krayp120.worldnet.att.net

I have left server = news.hiof.no in the config file because I don't
have or want access to an internet server.  This worked before...

Maybe I'll go back and try a make install and see if it works better,
or try the rpmbuild on the leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20021229a tar ball
because that one worked with make install.