[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[leafnode-list] leafnode-1.9.33.devel4 available
I've released another candidate for leafnode-1.9.33 after finding and
fixing a major bug in fetchnews, leafnode-1.9.33.devel4. It is available
It contains two important changes over devel3:
1. It was possible that downloaded articles ended up in out.going in
setups with more than one upstream server, and tried to get posted to
the upstream where they'd hopefully get rejected as duplicates --
however because they were tried on the next server, they've been
short-lived, and the exact nature of the bug was not found, so I added
robustness fixes to other places, and probably was overzealous in the
fix, but better safe than sorry. I think the bug is in older versions as
well, but I'm not investigating this, use leafnode-1.9.33.devel4 if in
2. I've also changed the out.going/*/ stuff to be compatible with
leafnode 1.9.22 and older: the u+x flag is no longer needed as "article
is complete and may be posted" marker (by leafnode's nntpd), but instead
the u+r is used, to avoid the many "my posts just keep sitting in
out.going" from users who just updated but can't be bothered to read the
NEWS file. My apologies for not listing this problem in README.
Here's the NEWS file section for 1.9.33:
* 1.9.33, 2003-01-XX
- Fix client hang when an article had suffered corruption and its Message-ID
could not be retrieved. Also consider the article broken and unlink it.
- Compatibility: leafnode 1.9.23 to 1.9.32 have used the u+x flag in out.going
to mark an article "complete". This was incompatible with versions 1.9.22
and before. It has been changed to u+r, which improves compatibility, posts
are no longer stuck in out.going, and even older versions won't read
- Switching delaybody off no longer makes bodies of article headers retrieved
before the switch inaccessible. (affects leafnode, fetchnews)
- Pseudo article display was fixed for newsgroups that were once there but
that have expired without their article pointers reset in the groupinfo file.
- Fix local article number extraction again, along the lines suggested by
Fumiaki Miura. This bug marked the wrong article for download if a header
of the structure "Xref: my.ser.ver abcabc:20 abc:10" was in the article.
- Ralf Wildenhues fixed two subtle bugs in signal handling again, making sure
we don't warp backwards in the program flow when ^C is pressed twice.
- The nodesc flag was not in effect for fetchnews -f or after adding a new
server, making fetchnews redownload the FULL active file over and over again.
- Downloaded articles don't show up in out.going in multi-server setups any
more, they did when articles to post were in out.going because fetchnews
messed up its directories.
### CHANGES: documentation
- Options added since 1.9.20 now appear with the leafnode version when the
option was introduced in the manual pages.
### CHANGES: fetchnews
- Leafnode will now use the "ARTICLE" command to download articles if no
filterfile is defined or if the new "article_despite_filter" option is set
and "delaybody" is off. This speeds up article download, particularly on
high-latency links such as interleaved DSL or satellite links.
- There is a new global option, "article_despite_filter", defaults to 0 for
- There is a new per-server option, "noread", which defaults to 0 and is
therefore compatible with previous releases of leafnode.
If set, the server is not queried for active files or articles (but
skipped), but posting to this server is still tried. Useful to complement
"nopost". Courtesy of Dmitry Samersoff <dsamersoff@xxxxxxxxx>.
- Fetchnews compares the local clock to that of the upstream server it's
talking to if the upstream supports the "DATE" command, and warns if both
clocks are more than 10 minutes apart (but the program will continue for
### CHANGES: leafnode
- The DATE command is now supported.
leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- mailing list for leafnode
To unsubscribe, send mail with "unsubscribe" in the subject to the list