[leafnode-list] broken newsserver seeming to give more problems?

Since upgrading to leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20030128a I've noticed that when
one of my newsservers is having an off day, the water marks stay wrong
until another article is received for that group

I don't think I've seen this in earlier versions.

To expand slightly - I get

news.cache.ntlworld.com: connected (200), banner: "200 ntl NNTP news cache (feedback to nntptrial-feedback@xxxxxxxx)"
news.cache.ntlworld.com: checking for new newsgroups
Reading new newsgroups failed
alt.comp.periphs: considering 53 articles 81368 - 81420, using XOVER
Unknown reply to XOVER command: 411 No such newsgroup
<sudoscript>: line 11:  3226 Broken pipe sudo -u news /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -vvv

It then appears that no new articles have arrived and as some groups I
follow don't have many postings I have to wait quite some time - until yet
another posting - before I can read an incoming article when I see:

fetchnews[3380]: store: gmane.network.leafnode.announce:
		 stale water marks, trying to fix

Is there anyway of manually fixing the watermarks - I can't see any
obvious options in fetchnews or texpire?

Robert