Re: [leafnode-list] broken newsserver seeming to give more

Robert <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> To expand slightly - I get
>
> news.cache.ntlworld.com: connected (200), banner: "200 ntl NNTP news cache (feedback to nntptrial-feedback@xxxxxxxx)"
> news.cache.ntlworld.com: checking for new newsgroups
> Reading new newsgroups failed
> alt.comp.periphs: considering 53 articles 81368 - 81420, using XOVER
> Unknown reply to XOVER command: 411 No such newsgroup
> <sudoscript>: line 11:  3226 Broken pipe sudo -u news /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -vvv

This pretty much looks like a problem in the communication between your
fetchnews and the upstream -- and because leafnode doesn't catch
SIGPIPE, it aborts, and as a consequence, the water marks (actually a
misnomer, they are rather levels) are stale, a stale lock file is lying
around and all that.

fetchnews and the NTL server are getting out of sync, "no such
newsgroup" is not a valid reply to XOVER -- can you set debugmode=129 in
your config file reproduce the problem and send me the resulting debug
log (don't send to the list). I may be able to fix some of the problem.

> It then appears that no new articles have arrived and as some groups I
> follow don't have many postings I have to wait quite some time - until yet
> another posting - before I can read an incoming article when I see:
>
> fetchnews[3380]: store: gmane.network.leafnode.announce:
> 		 stale water marks, trying to fix
>
> Is there anyway of manually fixing the watermarks - I can't see any
> obvious options in fetchnews or texpire?

Just running texpire should do the job.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/