Re: [leafnode-list] changing header Xref

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:19:04 +0100, Yvon Thoraval wrote
> Hi all,
>
> i wonder if their is a way to change on part of the headers using
> some  config file of leafnode.
>
> When i'm posting thru usenet i have the following :

> From: yvon.thoraval@xxxxxxxx (Yvon Thoraval)
> Newsgroups: fr.comp.os.mac-os.x
> Subject: verif partition de swap
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:41:34 +0100
>
> And, i'd like to change the last line :

> because 2-81-xx-yy-zz is my IP address which i don't want to be public.
>
> Then is their a way to change that point ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Yvon

I have my leafnode set as:

## If your newsreader does not supply a Message-ID for your postings
## Leafnode will supply one, using the hostname of the machine it is
## running on.  If this hostname is not suitable, this parameter can be
## used to override it.  Do not use a fantasy name, it may interfere with
## the propagation of your messages.  Most modern newsreaders do provide
## a Message-ID.
# hostname = host.domain.country
hostname =

However, I also use newscene.com as my upstream nntp provider. They do not
post a NNTP-Posting-Host: 81.57.96.20 entry. Consquently, I maintain my
privacy on news groups. Hence, even if you change your hostname it will not
protect your privacy is your provider uses NNTP-Posting-Host. Most
non-anonymous nntp providers will use it. For example, I also use the spamcop
news server. Even though my reference information is news.invalid.99computer,
my NNTP-Posting-Host ends up being the domain name of my server  due to
reverse DNS lookup. I do not do a lot of posting there so I live with it.

I understand your issue about privacy. My iptables' logs overflow from cracker
and relay attempts. I have put in -j DROP on entire blocks of ip addresses
from certain troublesome countries to try to reduce the problem.