Re: [leafnode-list] changing header Xref

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:32:18 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote
> Mike Vanecek schrieb am 2003-03-15:

Opps, did not see that my copy/paste did not copy everything. My apologies for
the confusion..

> > > You can just as well remove that line, leafnode ignores it.
> >
> > I certainly hope not. It is doing exactly what I need to protect my privacy.
>
> It is ignored because it doesn't have anything on the right hand side.
>
> > ## a Message-ID.
> > # hostname = host.domain.country
> > hostname = news.invalid.99computer
>
> You're sacrificing reliability that way. It is prone to Message-ID
> collisions which will cause your articles to be dropped on the floor
> with an unsuspicious "article already available upstream" error
> messages.

Understand. However, the probability of that happening is low since the full
reference generated should stay unique. It is a risk I take to minimize what
news bots can determine about my posts. My logs are already full of cracker
attempts. I even get nervous about having my address in mailing lists since I
have seen some hacked in the past. I figure that is a risk I must take to
receive information in which I am interested.

> BTW, the References line you quoted looked corrupted.

Not sure I understand what it is that is corrupted. Was it corrupted in the
first post?  Since it is nothing but comments ...

Thank you for your help.

Mike.