Re: [leafnode-list] Re: (Discovery) Problems after upgrade to 1.9.33

On Sunday 23 Mar 2003 15:56, clemens fischer wrote:
> Matt Gibson <gothick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Allegedly they're working on the problem.  Sounds like a memory
> > overwrite to me; if there's 2^n-1 articles to fetch in a newsgroup,
> > their server just drops the connection just after you've sent XOVER.
> > Grr.
>
> and wouldn't it be nice to know what provider that is and what
> software it is running?

It's Demon Internet (demon.co.uk; demon.net).  They use some pretty strange
software and hardware configurations.  This is mainly because they're so big.
Four or five hundred users on the news server isn't unheard of.  They have a
synchronised cluster of machines based on INN (possibly a customised version;
I don't know for sure)  The 200 message on connection is:

200 news.demon.co.uk InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.0 (20020917 CVS
prerelease) ready (posting ok).

Doesn't that inspire confidence...

The problem has appeared in the last couple of months, after a pretty big
upgrading of the software.  They're normally pretty good at fixing problems
once they've been found, but this one's taking a while.  I'm guessing most
people aren't using XOVER, otherwise they'd have more pressure to get it
sorted.

"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
 and learning how to live amongst them."
	      -- Jeff Noon